24.5.10

Young Farmers Project: Hitting the Road in Georgia

I'm currently in Atlanta and have been for the past week working on my Young Farmers portrait project. For each Farm I'm shooting a portrait of an organic farmer under 35 and then a portrait of a dish made with their food.

Earlier this month I headed to Palmetto, Georgia where I met Paige Witherington. Paige is 28 and has been farming since 2002. She currently is the Farm Manager at Serenbe, a 3 phase development committed to sustainable agriculture and development south of Atlanta. The farm she manages supplies food for CSA members in the Atlanta metro area as well as to restaurants within the development including The Hil and soon the Blue Eyed Daisy Cafe. I spent some time with her out in the field taking portraits. The plot of land set aside for the farm where she is now working was originally used for cotton farming. "It's really nice to see the positive change you can see on a really run down piece of land," said Paige about what she enjoys about farming.

Garlic and Spinach Flathbread at The Hil.

Wedge Salad at the Hil.

The dining room at The Hil.

The Blue Eyed Daisy Cafe.

Check back for more updates as I travel the roads this summer from Georgia to Missouri, Montana and places in between.

3 comments:

Noodles said...

Oooh, Jess! Me gusta mucho! What a great project!

jessica lowry said...

Thanks Miss Noodles! I so appreciate your support. I'll keep you posted as I shoot more this summer :)

The Modern Gal said...

It's Paige! I know her! I'm so glad to know about the awesome things she's doing. Those dishes look amazing.